As the weather gets colder and days shorter, we all use more electricity for light, to keep warm and keep ourselves entertained indoors. Electrical safety in the home seems like common sense. But it is surprising how many of us fail to follow basic safety guidelines.
To ensure you’re not putting yourself, your loved ones or your property at risk this winter here are some essential electrical safety tips:
- Regularly check the condition of plugs, sockets and flexes. If these are damaged or worn get them repaired or replaced, otherwise they can cause electric shock, burns and fire.
- One way damage can occur is by carelessly removing plugs. Make sure you don’t pull them out by the cable. This is a common problem and can result in overheating of the plug and wires becoming loose. If the earth wire becomes disconnected it can cause a nasty electric shock.
- Don’t trail cables under rugs or furniture. This can cause wear and tear to the insulation resulting in exposed wires.
- Don’t dry clothes on electric heater or water could drip onto live parts.
- Don’t cover up ventilation slots on heaters and other electrical appliances. They are there to prevent overheating so if you cover them up, the appliance could overheat and catch fire.
- Try to get into a routine of switching off gadgets and appliances, such as TVs and computers, before going out or going to bed. This will reduce the risk of fire. It will also save money on your electricity bills.
- High-rated appliances, such as irons and kettles can put a strain on the electrical system. The Electrical Safety Council advises not to overload sockets by plugging too many of these appliances into adaptor plugs. It is much better to have additional sockets installed by a registered electrician. Call us today for a Free no Obligation Quotation.